How to Use Google Trends To Do Target Market Research





I'm going to tell you how to do some market research using Google Trends. So let's go and get started. So, you are going to go in Google dot com slash trends (www.google.com/trends). And when you get there, you're going to see this front page. So what it immediately shows is some particular hot searches for that particular day when you are using this software.

So in this day, I'm actually recording it on Monday December second two thousand thirteen (2nd December, 2013). So some of the top searches for today are related to Seahawks and Tom Dailey. But, lets go ahead and dig a little deeper and figure out some information about your particular market. So, in order to do that, you're going to type it into the search box... whatever your related searches.

So, in this case, for me; I'm going to search "Marketing Consultant". And basically, this gives you a graph to show you some search related averages of your particular niche. So, what it is saying is that in two thousand four (2004) it looks like there was a spike and people searching online about marketing consultant.

I guess its slowly trending down but nothing that significant. Now, like I mentioned before, you always want to search more than once because maybe people are not typing in this particular term. So I'm going ahead and type in "Marketing Consulting" and see what happens. So, in red indicates Marketing Consulting and in a blue is Marketing Consultant.

So, if I had originally search for Marketing Consulting and not search for Marketing Consultant, I may have made a mistake of assuming that the Marketing Consulting industry is trending down. And yes, it is trending down with searches but that not may give me the exact information that I'm looking for. Don't always assume on your first search that the information you have. I would always try to add few searches just to get a bigger or broader ideas. And try using different phrases because you have to think about human behaviour and people might be searching using different terminologies. Alright, let's go ahead check out what this another information have which is called Regional Interest. And this information will can tell you where people are searching in location wise.

So, I currently living in United States and this is very surprising to me because I would never thought that people were searching in South Africa about the position of Marketing Consultant. And also in India and Australia. So, if I had a world wide audience this may change the way I talk or speak to my target audience because they are not all just in United States. They're in Australia, India, South Africa, Netherlands and that may change the way I do my marketing strategy.

So this is a valuable information as you can see. If you scroll down you can see Related Searches and Google does a really great job of giving me some suggestions as far as other particular searches related to what your particular industry is.

So, if you see right here, business consultant, marketing consultant jobs, these are all very relatable searches that I didn't expect I never considered and it is something that now I make it is consider. Wow! there are people that are looking for Marketing Consultant jobs, Business Consultant.

So I could cater my website or audience to answer these particular questions. So maybe I can write blog post about how to land or top five tips on how to land on your first marketing consultant job or something like that nature. If you click on rising, they will give you some other ideas as far as other terminologies that are very hot topics.
So, as you can see right here, people are searching from marketing consultant salary and marketing consultant jobs. So, these are very good rising trends and that is something you may consider as part of your topic or niche that you're getting into.

Let's go and scroll to the top. In a left side there's some other basically button that you can use to do some more research. So I'm going to click in Locations and see what happens. Same thing with locations, you'll go ahead and click add a term and you're going to type in what your industry. I'm going to stick with marketing consultant. in this particular case, I wanted to research where people are looking for in the United States.

Maybe i'm offering a job or service that is only a local base regional business. Let's go and check out what happens in United States. Click on that, and I live in California so I want to see if I can promote my business to the local communities. Now, I'm going to click in California. So this is very valuable information because it really shows me "Hey you know what, there's other location within California. I'm going to click "city". This is very interesting because originally I assumed that most jobs in Marketing Consultant was in the L.A. area. But in this particular case, it actually shows me that there's a lot of people in San Diego and San Francisco community that are also searching for marketing consultant.

This is the couple things for me, it really may help me re-evaluate my business and determine if I'm currently located in the right area where my target audiences. Let say I was live in Los Angeles and I said, "you know what I'm not getting enough business, I may want to relocate my business in San Diego or San Francisco because according to this information with Google there's a lot of people that are searching for that particular niche in that industry.

As you can see, you can play around with this and figure out if your local business is something that currently trending and it's currently in the right location for your niche or topic. So hope this information helps you guys out how to play around to do some searches and that how is related to you. And you can uncover some remarkable facts.

SHARE
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment